First Day on the Job!

At 1:00pm I went in for my job interview at the YMCA.  The building’s like a hamster maze, it’s so hard to find your way around.  It’s a lot more official and professional than the waterpark was.  The interview had a lot more “what would you do if” scenarios.  Like first aid, dealing with troublesome patrons, etc.  It was kind of grueling.  Then was the water skills portion.  Which was also kind of grueling.  Right away I had to swim 500 yds.  That’s back and forth ten times!  And I had already run today!  Right away after I did that, I had to demonstrate holds on a mannequin.  Then she threw the mannequin in the pool a couple times and I had to rescue it.  The pool was a lot deeper than I thought.  I ended up having some serious breathing difficulties.  And my ears hurt a lot from the pressure!  Once I couldn’t get all the way down to save the mannequin, and had to come up for air.  It was super embarrassing, but I figured it would be better for me to breathe than the mannequin.  I made an executive decision.  Even after that, I still got hired as a substitute lifeguard!  I got a shirt and everything!

At 4:00pm I had training at the waterpark.  I first had to fill out all the paperwork.  I-9’s and W-4’s and emergency contacts and all that.  It was a bit of a pain.  I spent a lot of the time chatting with the other people there.  Some were lifeguards, many were managers of some sort, I think.  They were very friendly and were asking questions and we were chatting.  It was really cool, since I hadn’t done that in a long time, chatting.  I only just now realized that I’m kind of terrified because I’m so out of practice making new friends.  I’ve been reading Be Different by John Elder Robison, and I’m seeing more and more of my Asperger’s-like traits.  It’s exhausting to think about my social flaws.  I’m sure it will be okay though.  I spent most of the time shadowing one of the supervisors, who was just lifeguarding then.  I learned about all the stations, what the rules are.  I learned about the slides, which was awesome!  I can’t wait to go down.  He says it wears off after a while, but for now the place is so exciting!  I was good with asking questions.  I left at 5:30, even though I could have stayed longer, because I had orientation at the Y.

At 6:00pm I had orientation at the Y.  I’d talk more about it, but I’m poop and I have to get up at 5 tomorrow morning.  It was really boring anyway.  I did earn money today though.  Yay!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s